Saturday, February 27, 2010

Estoy Cansada

I spent this past week in Rio Limpio, a campo about an hour from the Haitian border.

I have so much to say and I'm lacking the words to say it.

My English has been mixed in with my Spanish and I speak a weird version of Spanglish. I no longer know what grammar structure is (I told someone the other day that I had hunger, because that's the literal translation of Spanish).

I just wanted to update and let everyone know that my week long lack of blogging was intentional--I'm okay and everything is good.

I'm so tired. There's a Spanish phrase, "Tengo sueño", which means I'm tired--as in, I have tiredness (dream, actually), and would like to go to sleep. But then, there's "Estoy cansada", which is the "I'm so exhausted mentally and physically that I may fall over any second now". I slept fourteen hours last night and took a two hour nap today. My body is sore. My bug bites itch. My bruises are killing me.

Kristina, 0. Campo, 2 (Rio Limpio and Alta Mira).

On a side note, I would like to ask everyone to keep the people of Chile in their thoughts and prayers. I've seen what the aftermath of an earthquake looks like, and though their earthquake did less damage, lives have still been loss and I'm sure the situation is chaotic.

On the other hand, everywhere I go/have been is being hit by earthquakes in the past few months.

To the people of Australia and South Carolina: Start evacuating now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, are you ready to help me in the garden this year?

Joan said...

I guess South Carolinians shouldn't evacuate to Georgia, then, because you've been here, too.

Enument said...

Hello Kristina,

looks like you're struggling with your Spanglish (haha) the same it's happening to me since I came to US. I'm Dominican living in Boston, MA Working at The MathWorks the worldwide leading Software provider for technical computing environment.

You're right, you can not literally translate from Spanish to English, or from English to Spanish. You can feel like talking backwards. But is not always the same scenario, in some cases you can literally make a translation.

That's why I'm writing you. Bellow you will see the literally translation of the phrases you have mentioned on your post.

I'm so tired = Estoy muy cansado/cansada
Tengo Sueño = I'm sleepy
Estoy cansada/cansado = I'm tired
I'm so Exhausted = Estoy muy exhausta/exhausto

You're doing a great job and if I can be of further help with your Spanglish - I will love to - just let me know by email.

Best regards

Daniel Vargas
d_vargas07@hotmail.com

Christopher Santana said...

Espero que tengas un traductor para entender lo que te escribo....

Te felicito por tener un blog muy interesante....y reí mucho mientras estaba leyendo todas las dificultades que has tenido y tus aventuras en nuestro bello país (aunque con sus defectos)..pero es muy interesante lo que ustedes están haciendo......