Monday, March 22, 2010

Just a Movin' & a Shakin'

Just yesterday, I remarked to a friend that I could definitely live in the DR. The lifestyle, the weather, what's not to love? I was quickly proven wrong last night.

I will never get used to the feel of the earth moving below me. EVER.

Coming from the Southeast, I've felt an earthquake a whole total of ZERO times. It was a nice little welcome to the DR when the Haiti earthquake happened. There was a small one earthquake a few weeks ago. And then, there was last night.

Every single time there's been an earthquake, I've been in bed (what can I say, I'm a good napper). Last night I was laying in my bed, reading, mind my own business, when all of the sudden, my bed started shaking. I tore out of my bed and my room in record time. My parents felt it, but my sisters didn't. I spent a few minutes waiting for the rest of the earthquake, because it was more of a jolt than a shake.

Needless to say, I slept a combined total of less than 2 hours and had nightmares of earthquakes.

8 comments:

Sir_NutS said...

Hi, I found your blog via remolacha.net. I'm glad you're enjoying your stay here (well, for the most part). About the earthquakes, we were never a country that had a lot of these, but there has been some activity after the big earthquake in haiti, I think it's something temporary and everything will go back to normal in due time.

I will keep an eye on your blog.

Unknown said...

Hi, I really enjoy your blog. I am Dominican and studied in the states (just the opposite of you!) about the quakes just relax because it is much better to have a small earthquake than a big one like recently in Haiti. Remember that in high activity area like the Caribbean is good for the faults to ¨shake¨ every once in a while rather than accumulating energy which could be potencially dangerous for us. Of course, since you are not used to (neither do we) it is a bit disturbing to wake up in the middle of an earthquake.
Keep your good work, you are really inspiring many people to think about the good things we can do in our country in order to help people out no matter in what scenario we find ourselves.

Anonymous said...

No le temas tanto a los temblores, los huracanes esos si son de temer, duran horas y sabes que vienen.

Joan said...

At least tornadoes and such in the S.E. give you some warning!

Anonymous said...

It's all in what you're used to...I've had people in California tell me that they don't know how we deal with hurricanes and tornadoes. Both a hurricane and an earthquake are dangerous if you don't have adequate structures. Still, I'll take a hurricane (somewhat inland, of course) anyday over an earthquake.

Anonymous said...

I also found your blog via remolacha. I'm from Santiago, please visit my blog www.abrilveinte.blogspot.com
I like some of your prespectives in the cultural fields. I work in cultural managment, and be glad to help you find more information of the dominican culture and way of life.

Dan said...

Gah, I can't believe no one else in my house felt it. Doña Rafaela told me I'm crazy.

Unknown said...

Found your blog via remolacha and I just read it entirely in one go ^^... it's nice to read about your experiences.

About the earthquakes, I've never felt one, even the one from Haiti, but it's just that we're entering a seismic activity period in the DR, which is approximately every 50 years... last big earthquake here was in 1946 I believe so we're back on that part of the cycle.

It'll all pass, and it would be nice if you stayed in D.R.

Mario Doñé, Santo Domingo, R.D.