Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Chillin in Chile

Hola desde (from) Chile!

I finally made it to Chile yesterday morning. I waited in the airport for a few hours for the other students to arrive from the University of Arizona. They're semester students, though, and won't be in the same program as me.

We had to drive to Viña del Mar, but I unfortunately slept the whole way. The beginning of the drive was beautiful, but I got to the point where I could not keep my eyes open.

We went to Universidad Viña del Mar (UVM) and my family picked me up. We came back to their house and ate lunch and then we went back to school and I took a spanish placement test (which I bombed, by the way) and then we did a short (2 hour?) walk around Viña..the city is absolutely gorgeous! After our tour, we walked home and then ate dinner..

The meal schedule really throws me off..Lunch is the biggest meal of the day, at about 2 PM, and dinner is light food. (Bread with fruit).

I promptly slept like a rock and woke up this morning to walk to school again.

I went to my two classes, Strategies of Spanish and Spanish Communication, and then walked back home around noon. We ate lunch, and then we walked down to the beach. I came back to the house and took a nap and then we ate dinner and went to the grocery store.

In case you're wondering what people in Chile eat, here's what I ate today:

Breakfast:
Cereal (and um, they pour the cereal into a mug of milk. Bowls are not used, and the milk is not poured into a bowl. Therefore, i made an idiot of myself bright and early this morning.)
Cantaloupe
Milk
Juego (Juice--mango, maybe?)
and something else i can't remember right now

Lunch:
Jeugo (Juice--pineapple today)
Cauliflower and Carrot pie
Corn
Peas
Potatoes with carrots
Beet root, raw and sliced (at least, that's what I think it was?)
and Jello for dessert

Dinner:
Bread and jam (plum jelly)
Tea
Bread and patte
and cookies for desert

So there you have it, folks. Here's some pictures that prove I'm in one of the most beautiful places ever:




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It does look very pretty there. Sounds like you're getting your exercise in! Sorry I missed your calls tonight.