Friday, January 9, 2009

Gypsies and Pizza



So, we were at the playa yesterday (a touristy beach, think Myrtle Beach or somewhere that's really crowded in Florida). We had gotten ice cream and were sitting on the wall looking at the ocean when some old lady dressed really elaborately but in really dirty clothes and came up and said, "Tienes suerte?" Which means, Do you have luck? She had some kind of cards with her, but the four of us knew right away she was probably bad news.

Casey had read a book about Gypsies in Chile, and this lady was definitely a gypsy. They are also notoriously known for robbing people. We all grabbed our bookbags and purses, but this lady would not go away. Finally, Keenan said, "No Molesta, por favor", which is basically "leave us alone." Many more gypsies came by in a span of five minutes asking for money and other things. We finally decided to leave the area because it was starting to get scary (they obviously knew we weren't from there).

We kept walking down the length of the wall, and a lady took a picture of the four of us girls. As she was taking a picture, we were laughing and talking, and this man and his wife came up to us, and the man exclaims, "YOU SPEAK ENGLISH! I'M FROM SWITZERLAND!" Apparently he had been here for almost a month and hadn't heard anyone speaking English and he was very excited about seeing someone that spoke the same language he did. We said Ciao! and moved on to get something for dinner.

We went to a pizza place, with a menu that had been directly translated into English. Thus, it made no sense. I had a pizzeta, and this is what the menu read:


We returned home and I had an hour (!) long conversation in Spanish with my host family. Right before I went to bed, my sister said, "Don't worry, it's easier for me to learn English than it is for you to learn Spanish." Gee, thanks. I didn't know my spanish was that bad.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! It sounds like you have a really busy schedule! haha I would have freaked out if I met all the gypsies too! And an hour long conversation?! Sounds like your spanish is going just fine. Good job girl!

Joan said...

I hope you weren't capricious with your order.