Thursday, January 8, 2009

Exhaustion

I never got around to posting last night; yesterday was packed full of events so I didn't get a chance to blog before my eyes shut.

I started off the day going to my two classes (read: walking forever) and then I came back here for lunch (read: walking some more). On the way home, I walked with my friend, Casey, which made the walk a whole lot more enjoyable. We ate lunch, and I quickly returned back to school. I took a bus this time, which was a terrifying experience because of the road systems here. More on that in a second. So, I return to school and we went kayaking in a town a little ways away called Con-Con (translated: with-with. Don't ask, I don't know). Kayaking was HARD. First of all, the only time I've kayaked (that I remember?) was at Girl Scout camp when I was like, seven. That was in a lake. With no wind. Yesterday, we went kayaking in the ocean. With a lot of wind. They put the girls two to a kayak because the wind was so strong. At first, we all wanted to go by ourself, but when we were struggling against the wind to get back to shore, I was thankful Whitney was with me. I didn't think we were going to make it back. Aside from the rocks, the people who wouldn't move, and the boat flipping over when Whitney got out (with me still in it), it was really cool and REALLY pretty.

So back to the roads. They don't have lanes. It's literally just a strip of pavement. Therefore, people go wherever they like, whenever they like. So there may be enough room for two lanes, but it turns into three. Think cab drivers in New York, without specified lanes and they're everyday people. On top of that, the street signs are just a suggestion. There are only one and a half road laws in this city: 1. A pedestrian has the right away in a crosswalk. Always. 2. You have to stop at a red light. Only when you feel like it. I bet they have a really easy permit test.

On my bus ride, I had to know where to get off the bus, so I sat up front, thinking I would have a better view. I learned my lesson, and I'm never doing that again. It was terrifying because we would be a foot from the car in front of us when he decided to stop. Oh, another thing, fender benders are an everyday occurrence. But they're not a big deal because everyone's car is already beat up so it doesn't really matter anymore (read: don't drive a nice car). People bump each other, and keep on going. It's like a huge game of bumper cars. On the street.

Also, the buses don't have designated stops. Basically, you see your bus, you catch the drivers eye, and he might pull over to the curb, or you might run across the street to get on the bus. And you can ring a bell and get off wherever you like.

It's a strange, strange city.

5 comments:

Joan said...

What would Chileans think about Blythewood?

Kristina said...

Chileans would think that Blythewood is "un pueblo"--which is basically a town in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do.

Anonymous said...

They might think it is "cielo."

Kristina said...

the sky? or the ceiling? I'm not sure where you got that word from...

Anonymous said...

I got it from the dictionary you gave me.....heaven.